Friday, September 23, 2011

Christine's Fresh Salsa

First of all if anyone's actually reading this, thank you. Also, sorry, but there will be no Deep Thoughts by Christine today. Nope, today I'm just sharing a basic recipe for salsa I made the other day that even my pickiest eater in the house enjoyed. There's nothing better than fresh, ripe tomatoes out of the garden! They are one of my most favorite summer foods! :)

- 5 or 6 or 7 (I can't remember) medium tomatoes from the garden
- 1 medium sweet onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 jalapeno peppers (seeds removed from only 1)
- 1 sweet, yellow banana pepper from the garden
- limejuice ( I used 1/2 lime)
- cilantro (about a handful - stems removed)
- course sea salt and black pepper to taste

Wash and trim stems off tomatoes and peppers. Clean seeds out of 1 jalapeno pepper only (unless you like spicier). I have a bunch of kids that don't like that spicy pepper taste so we got rid of some seeds. Peel off skins and cut ends off garlic and onion.Cut into pieces and place in a food chopper. I used http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex-72500RY-2-Cup-Chopper/dp/B00006IUX0, but you can use whatever you have. Since it's not a real big chopper I went in batches and then dumped all the chopped veggies into a bigger bowl. I also chopped my cilantro up in the chopper with some salt to get it to grind up better. Mix into bowl with lime juice and black pepper and chill in fridge until ready to eat. We had it on top of our chicken fajitas/tacos. And the only reason I have any left is because we were saving some for dad for when he got home from work.

No comments: